The Laser Engineering Intern/Co-op is a hands-on member of a technical team under the supervision of senior member developing and integrating the industrial laser systems or modules. In this position you will gain real-world hands on technical experience in a high tech company. You will also participate in an internship program that includes many exciting activities including lunches with executive team members, presentations, and more.
Responsibilities Include May Include But Are Not Limited To
- The Laser Engineer will play an important role in the development of the optical component and systems design, integration, and test activities. She/he will be working closely with other members of our small interdisciplinary R&D team developing industrial laser systems.
- The candidate must be a fast learner, strong problem solver, and exceptional communicator. She/he must have a proven ability to understand problems and requirements as described by managers, and scientific and engineering staff.
- The candidate for this position should have deep, relevant experience with many of the specific skill areas listed, as well as a strong interest in growth and learning in all of them.
- Evaluate laser performance at the materials, component and system integration levels via both modeling and experimental methods.
- Support the revision of designs to minimize changes in later project phases and perform system integration and test activities.
- Analyze and present test data.
- Discuss results with technical staff, external partners, and customers.
- Provide support to project teams in the preparation of engineering inputs, cost estimates and schedules for proposals.
- Work directly with application engineers and team mate to design and integrate custom solutions.
- Promote engineering rigor and individual skills advancement within the company’s technical team.
- Support optimization of supply chain for lower cost, higher reliability, and continuous product improvement.
- Meet deadlines, sustain superior personal task management, and deliver consistent high performance in both individual and team endeavors.
- A minimum of rising Senior standing in a Bachelor’s degree program in Optics, Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, Electrical Engineering, or a closely related field. Master’s Program interns are highly desirable
- Practical experience with robust laser system, component, materials, and integration design solutions.
- Laser optical analysis and problem solving know-how including optical isolation, laser damage, material selection, optical component handling, optical mount design, optical adhesives and methods, environmental effects impact, and light coupling and controlling methodology.
- Prior experience in a commercial environment is highly desirable.
- Experience in execution engineering documentation.
- Knowledge of experimental and simulation methods
- Experience with instrumentation to determine basic laser performance, laser lifetime and reliability.
- Technical writing skills having prior experience writing technical reports, operating instructions or user manuals.
- Physical and Environmental Conditions
- Duties will involve working with powerful laser light, optical fibers and other potentially hazardous materials. Employees must wear protective goggles, or glasses when in the proximity of an energized laser. Employee must wear masks and clean room gowns as defined by the specific rules within the work area. Ability to operate fabrication and test equipment as defined by job. Lifting, bending, and other physical requirements typical of experimental work in an optics laboratory environment will be required.